Last year my sons and I experimented with stuffing and grilling duck breasts several ways and met with some culinary challenges. However, this year, I’ve got it all figured out and this recipe has passed the Bayou Woman Kitchen taste test.
Since it’s opening day of duck season here in south Louisiana’s Coastal Zone, we shall close the day out with this offering and hope lots of hunters and cooks will find it as delicious as we do.
Grilled Stuffed Duck BreastsPrint Recipe
- 6-8 duck breasts skin removed.
- 1 small onion sliced
- 3-4 slices of bacon cut into thirds
- Louisiana pepper jelly
- Cream cheese stuffing:
- 8 oz . cream cheese*
- 2 Tablespoons Tony Chachere's or La. Fish Fry Cajun Seasoning
- slices * Please note that this cheese stuffing will fill more than 12 of duck breast, so do as many as you like--just increase the amount of marinade so that it covers the quantity of duck breasts you plan to stuff.
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's or La. Fish Fry Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix together the cream cheese stuffing ingredients, cover, and refrigerate.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients and set aside.
- Prepare the breasts:
- Slice breasts horizontally (lengthwise) into 2 or 3 slices, depending on thickness.
- Place on board, cover with plastic wrap, and flatten slightly with meat mallet.
- About 1/2 inch from end of breast, place a piece of onion, a slice of jalapeno, and a dollop of cream cheese mixture.
- Roll the duck breast up, making sure free end overlaps.
- Place on top of 1/3 slice of bacon and roll up, overlapping end and secure with toothpick.
- Place in the marinade for 2-4 hours. (See Notes)
- Place the breasts on hot grill and cook, turning often so the bacon cooks evenly and doesn't burn.
- When the bacon is cooked (about 10 minutes), the breasts will be cooked medium to medium rare depending on heat of grill.
Here are a few pics to help you get a visual of the stuffing process.
These duck breast wraps are great as an appetizer served with Tabasco Pepper Jelly or as an entrée served with coleslaw.